Monday 6 July 2015

MEASUREMENT AND MINECRAFT: A DIAGNOSTIC

Most teachers find it a daunting task to cover the entire curriculum in the time we have with our students.  As a Grade Three teacher, I also have the time consumption of preparing for and administering EQAO.

Instead of teaching my students how to use Twitter and also the grammar structure of passe compose, I might have them collaboratively Tweet about what they did last night and then as a class discuss the success/struggles of the tool and the language.

Given the time constraints we face and the massive amount of expectations to cover, I rarely explicitly teach any technology skill.  Rather I seek to implicitly teach it through exploration within the integrated context of other subject expectations.  I have found the most success for this pedagogical approach through the MinecraftEDU program.

For four years now I have used MinecraftEDU to teach my measurement unit in primary and junior mathematics.  I have researched the influence this virtual environment can have on student success and am constantly looking to integrate it into the other subjects I teach.  For further information on this amazing program, check out the MinecraftEDU page on this site.

To illuminate the implicit approach fostered in the MinecraftEDU environment I have attached a brief explanation of my approach and the handout for my measurement diagnostic to be completed using the program.

CLICK HERE FOR DIAGNOSTIC BREAKDOWN   

CLICK HERE FOR DIAGNOSTIC HANDOUT ENG

CLICK HERE FOR DIAGNOSTIC HANDOUT FRE







1 comment:

  1. This is fantastic Lee. Sometimes I get students in this course that have never heard of the achievement chart (they might work in a different province or country, or work at an independent school). They really struggle with how to identify what components of the lesson fall under the different categories. In another situation, I've had a student want to assess the student equally under each category. I wonder what you think of that?

    ReplyDelete