Saturday 4 July 2015

A BRIEF ON CREATIVE COMMONS

WHAT IS CREATIVE COMMONS?

Creative Commons licenses provide the owners the ability to give permission to others to share, reimagine, use commercially, or use their work without having to ask permission for each use. 

WHY IS IT IMPORTANT?

Stanford Law professor and founder of Creative Commons, Lawrence Lessing desinged his tool to make it "easier for people to share and build upon the works of others, consistent with the rules of copyright." The collaborative nature of the internet needed these guidelines to ensure authorship was known and secured.

MY THOUGHTS

Having students aware of this resource is important at an early age because it reinforces best practice for future publishing as they get older.  They need to understand the importance of developing their own voice, thoughts and stule.  Admittedly this is an area that I struggle with from time to time.  I am an educator and so if something I create is used by another teacher, isn't that to the bennefit of kids?  Furthermore, if I use an image to support the learning of a colleague, does it not again bennefit kids?  I completely understand that it is wrong to use anothers work and call it your own as well then to receive profit from it.  However, depending on the venue, purpose and artifact, the necessity of licensing becomes a little grey to me.  If I am sharing something, I would hope it is to the greater good. Thus if it is shared as mine or another's, does it still not serve it's purpose.  

I understand that there is a lot of work that goes into developing webnairs, posters, flyers, posts etc.  I also understand there is a great deal of money to be made if marketed properly.  But if financial gain is not your main motivation, I reckon your real concern is that the message is shared.

-You have the complete permission of this author to share his work with the world, call it your own, write it as a song or whatever else floats your boat. 

CLICK HERE FOR COPYRIGHT LESSON

   

No comments:

Post a Comment