Monday 3 August 2015

Why Ronda Rousey Will Be Part of Our Grade 3 Learning This Year


I had never been a huge fan of MMA, but in retrospect I think it was more to do with misconceptions than understanding the sport itself. However, I always recognized and respected the discipline and training such a sport requires. Like many over the last few days, I was captivated by the incredible display by World Champion Ronda Rousey during her very brief fight against Bethe Correia.  This powerful woman is at the top of her game and an example of hard work, perseverance and dedication to young girls everywhere, with a personal story I appreciate.  Which reminded me of a lesson from last year.


Last year in my Grade 3 class, a number of the girls regularly came to me upset that the boys would not let them play soccer at recess.  Those that would not listen and tried to play anyways never received the ball and left the game quite upset.  Earlier that week, one of the students attempted to insult another by saying they threw "like a girl" during a gym class.

I try to instill in my students to Choose Kind and that we are a family of equal individuals, but like any concept, reinforcement is always necessary.  I showed them the #likeagirl campaign ad and discussed with them what equality meant and how we all do things our own way.  Stressing that this was important to Monsieur always seemed to make it more important to them. I could see they were starting to get it, but we weren't there yet.

The next day I had them join me on the carpet and we listened to the audio intro of Enter Sandman as covered by The Warning.  You probably remember these three talented young ladies rocking out Metallica on Youtube.  I then asked the students to describe what the musicians looked like, their ideas were as I expected.

I then turned the projector on and watched as their eyes bulged out of their head to see three young women, one of which was their age, belting out such a powerful song.  The discussion led to everyone sharing something they wished others new they were good at and how we shouldn't listen to that word stereotype.  I told them of my brief stint as a high school wrestler and how future Olympian and fellow teacher Tonya Verbeek used to toss me around like a rag doll.  


Seeing Tonya and other world class female athletes doing what they do best really hit home for these kids.  The were used to me going on about all of the contributions females had made to mathematics and science (all my students leave knowing they are mathematicians), but this was new territory for many of them. Witnessing the sports they loved, being professionally played by women.  The following recess something changed...

I peered out the window to see how second break was going, and there before me was the lesson I had just taught being realized.  A number of the girls from class had joined the game.  As the break ended, I was greeted by a giant hug..."Merci Monsieur! I scored a goal and everyone cheered."  Even if just in some small way, perhaps they were getting it.

So this year, aside from the mathematicians, the scientists, authors and rockers...perhaps Ms. Rousey will inspire a student of mine, girl or boy, to work hard and dedicate themselves to greatness. Respect one another, together we are stronger.  

Support Ronda's charity CLICK HERE
This post is dedicated to my daughter Sydney, who has always been her own person and proud of "breaking the mold."


No comments:

Post a Comment